How to Deal With Any Roadblocks to Success
“The first step in the process of dealing with roadblocks is to identify them. Then we need to decide what to do with them -- respect them (nearly always), live with them, or move them.”
~ David Clutterbuck, Author and Mentor
So you’ve set an intention and you’re ready to move forward. It is natural that you’ll face some obstacles along the way. Accepting this as part of the journey is very important because it’s easy to give up at this stage.
If you want to be successful, then you have to learn how to deal with roadblocks and develop strategies to move through or get around the obstacles. It might involve a detour!
Many of us get stuck because we don’t know what it is that is preventing us from being successful or achieving our goals. Or we simply don’t know how to get past them. Sometimes we simply ‘don’t know what we don’t know’ - so we get stuck.
Here’s a process to follow when you run into any roadblock or are faced with an obstacle:
1. Identify the roadblock – What is it?
2. Decide what to do. Take time to brainstorm and be solution focused in your thinking:
a. Live with it – not everything can be changed or should be changed
b. Eliminate it – how you can get around or move through the roadblock
3. Act – Take action
Roadblocks usually come from two main sources:
1. Inside – caused by our own mindsets. Our thinking and feeling takes over the show generating emotional anxiety, worry or fear. Our attitude and behaviour is affected. We might get feedback that we over-play a strength. For example: passion becomes aggression or achievement becomes threatening to others because it is viewed as competitive. While we often recognise our strengths, we don’ t see the downsides of how over using them might be perceived. These are intangible roadblocks mostly associated with our mindset and emotions. They relate to commitment: Mindset. These can be explored, worked through and resolved empowering you to handle the situation more effectively.
2. Outside – caused by lack of knowledge or skill. We have to learn WHAT to do and the HOW to do it. For example: Learning how to use a spreadsheet or how to follow a process effectively. Roadblocks could be physical in terms of not having the physical or financial resources. These are the tangible roadblocks to our success associated with the goal. They relate to capability: Skillset.
Using a Mindset first, Skillset second approach to identifying your roadblocks will help you to understand the symptoms and get to the real cause. Not only are you focusing on the WHAT and HOW of the situation but you are also exploring the WHY through your current experiences. This is great self-awareness.
You will find ways of overcoming your roadblocks if you give yourself time to look for them.
If you only generate one option, then you only have one solution!
• Explore and generate a number of strategies for handling the situation.
• Give yourself some thinking time.
• Share your ideas with a coach.
• Don’t give in – stick at it until you find a way that works for you. Persistence is the key!
If the road is closed – Re-set your Satellite Navigation and find a different route!
“It’s always too soon to quit.”
~Norman Vincent Peale, Author
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR EZINE OR WEBSITE?
I’d love you to! Just include the following information with the article, exactly as it’s written below:
Elaine Bailey is devoted to coaching successful women and men into their best lives. She mentors busy people to move away from the chaos and overwhelm of settling and surviving by offering them a whole new approach to productivity, business and lifestyle. Her weekly eZine WorkBrilliant™ goes out every Thursday and is full of practical tips and techniques to move from misery to mastery EVERY single day! You can sign up for a F.R.E.E. subscription to WorkBrilliant™ at www.elainebaileyinternational.com.
WANT TO SEE MORE ARTICLES LIKE THIS ONE?
Check out Elaine’s blog at www.elainebaileyinternational.com/wordpress/blog/