I love watching movies at Christmas. One of my favourite Christmas stories is ‘A Christmas Carol’ by Charles Dickens. I especially love the movie version with Sir Patrick Stewart.
This story reminds me of Spirit of Christmas Past, Present and Future.
Christmas is a wonderful time for reflection, time to be fully present with family and friends and an opportunity to dream, and set intentions for the New Year.
My reflections for 2010 take me around the world to the places I’ve been honoured to visit and all the wonderful people who have touched my life a long the way.
I remember having a broken English/German conversation over dinner with a wonderful woman and her husband in Berlin. Neither of us could speak the other person’s language except for a few words, yet we were able to have a wonderful animated conversation over dinner. I left that restaurant feeling very blessed to have met them.
Life is a transition and we’re in constant flow. People come in and out of our lives. They touch us for a brief moment or stay for a while, it’s ever flowing. Christmas is a time to celebrate this flow.
I have enormous gratitude and love for everyone I have met during 2010, who have shared their time and wisdom with me: My clients, Platinum friends, awesome mentor Christine Kane, friends (old and new), colleagues and family. Not forgetting my four-legged family too!
I hold you all in my heart this Christmas – I’m truly blessed.
Whether you’ve touched my life briefly or more intensely in 2010 this blog post is a personal THANK YOU to you for being in my life this year.
Who’s touched your life in 2010?
George Washington Carver, Chemist
Learning is exciting!
You might read a book, watch a video post or attend a course which inspires you to make some positive changes in your life or your business.
You feel different, excited and determined that THIS time you’re going to step into your own power and make things happen.
This time is different…You’re committed.
You get clear on your purpose, decide what you want and set a goal.
You might even break the goal down into do-able action-steps and feel ready to really make things happen.
You start to make a little progress and…
… Then life gets in the way!
All the noise and distraction around you makes it difficult to remember to stay focused and take action every day. So you stall and drift back into those old habits and patterns. Your goal is relegated to your wish list and you become frustrated again.
It’s hard to be accountable when there’s so much going on that distracts your attention and focus.
It’s hard to do things alone especially when you’re trying to change old patterns and habits that no longer serve you.
So why do it alone?
A great way to continue momentum and accomplish more is to choose an accountability buddy.
What is an accountability buddy?
- Someone you choose who is excited about you achieving your goal.
- They are willing to talk with you weekly (or every two weeks) either over the phone or on email.
- Someone who agrees to hold you accountable for meeting deadlines, taking action, making progress and accomplishing your goals.
- Someone who you commit to show up for and share your progress.
- An accountability buddy also acts as a sounding board. You can share your ideas and ask for feedback.
- They can celebrate your success.
- They provide energy and enthusiasm when yours is low and you feel stuck. They can help you think things through and share their experiences.
- They can ‘kick your ass’ (with love) and remind you about WHY you’re doing what you’re doing when you’re feeling distracted or making excuses.
Being accountable and reporting back to someone really helps you to stay motivated and take some action.
I recommend working with an accountability buddy to my coaching clients and delegates attending any of my training workshops because people are much more productive when they have set a do-able deadline and are held accountable to it.
If I commit to an action with my accountability buddy (who is my coach!) and I know I’m going to be asked about it the next time we talk, I’ll make sure that I do it before that next call! I don’t want to let my coach (or myself) down.
You may prefer to have an accountability buddy where you both share your goals and hold each other accountable. This can be a really effective partnership because you are helping each other.
An accountability buddy makes you more determined to accomplish things. It’s a great way to ensure that you achieve more and keep momentum.
Who’s your Accountability Buddy?!
“When two or more people coordinate in a spirit of harmony and work towards a definite objective or purpose, they place themselves in position, through alliance, to absorb power directly from the great storehouse of Infinite Intelligence.”
Napoleon Hill, Author, Think and Grow Rich
I’m writing this from 35,000 feet above the Atlantic!
I’m flying home after spending an amazing few days in the presence of 13 extremely successful entrepreneurial women. We all met in Tucson, Arizona for our second Platinum Group Coaching Mastermind Retreat led by our awesome coach-mentor, Christine Kane.
This experience was life changing for me. It has shifted my energy and focus to a different level than I ever could have imagined achieving on my own.
Coaching masterminds really work…
I first read about the concept of masterminds several years ago in Napoleon Hill’s book, Think and Grow Rich. I understood the principle straight away. However, it was not until I was actually part of a mastermind group that I really understood this powerful tool for success.
Being in tune with a group of like-minded people creates a powerful life force. Collectively we create a significant force of energy that is available to all of us in the group. This powerful energy comes to us from each person in the group and is magnified like a mirror intensifies the power of light from the sun. It truly is a magical experience on many levels: spiritual, practical and behavioural. In our two days together we have achieved so much more than if we were working alone. You could actually feel the positive energy and power of the group!
Here are 5 reasons why masterminds are so powerful…
- Collective energy trumps ego – Everyone is equal. It doesn’t matter if you are in business start up or you’re already running a multi-million $ business. We are human beings first; we have equal value, worth and dignity. No one is judging you. You get to be your authentic self both in your personal and business life. Ego is replaced by a collective energy for success. The group creates a safe environment for you to be yourself.
- Get a new perspective – My mastermind is composed of professionals from many walks of life. We all bring our unique experiences to the group, both from personal and business perspectives. This creates a different perspective and helps me to move beyond my own limited map of the world. Masterminds can also be formed from people in similar industries or professions.
- It stretches you - Like-minded people share ideas, knowledge, experience, information and feedback. The most valuable feedback I’ve ever received has come from the wonderful people in my mastermind. They are open, honest and comfortable enough to share the truth. They provide a sounding board for your ideas. You also get to find out: ‘What is it like being on the receiving end of me?’ You get to step out of your comfort zone and work through your Edges.
- The value of accountability – When you commit verbally to the group you are more likely to take action. The group keeps you accountable because it helps you to take responsibility to meet deadlines and achieve your goals. Accountability creates energy. This creates motivation and momentum. You make faster progress to the achievement of your goals.
- We’re all honking for you! – Just like geese honk support to the leader when they are flying in formation. The group is there for you. They provide extra energy and support exactly when you need it. You have your back covered! People are genuinely excited about you achieving your goals. When people have a common direction and a sense of community you can manifest your goals and dreams easier because you are travelling with the velocity of the group. Wherever I travel in the world the power of the mastermind is always with me, it’s just an email away.
I’m full of gratitude for the women in the photograph above. Over the last few days they shared their wisdom and love with me. This blog post is dedicated to them.