~ Jim Rohn
How’s your sense of direction?
Most people simply let their life happen to them. They wait, procrastinate and react. There’s no sense of urgency and certainly no strategy. They just get busy doing stuff…and time rolls on.
They stay stuck because they don’t know what to do.
We all burn through time so quickly. Before you know it most of your life is behind you. Reality sets in that you should have been more proactive and strategic, rather than waiting and putting things off.
I think it was Charles Handy who wrote that we live life backwards: the longer we live the more we learn and experience, by the time we have it all figured out we’re too old to do anything about it!
…But it doesn’t have to be that way.
You can DECIDE TODAY to stop waiting and reacting!
As a career strategist, I sometimes work with people who are confused because they have no idea what to do with their life, career or business…
It’s a bit like they are lost in a foreign city without a map. They don’t have a sense of purpose or direction. Their growth is random and chaotic. They drift from one idea to another and have no clue to where they want to go. In this confusion they collapse into a coach for the answer.
Here’s how I see it…
You have to develop your own sense of direction by creating two reference points:
1. ‘You are here’ – In other words, you need to know where you are now. Unfortunately this doesn’t appear on a notice board with a big arrow on it (like in a big city or shopping mall!). You have to sit down work it out for yourself. But there are some clues…
Your direction in life begins with SELF-AWARENESS. As John C Maxwell says: “You must know yourself to grow yourself!”
You have to get to know:
- Your strengths
- Your weaknesses
- Your passion
- Your opportunities
From my experience, most people lack self-awareness, don’t know their strengths or the value they bring to their daily lives. Start by focusing your attention here, because your natural strengths and passions are where you have the most potential for growth.
Do things that you are passionate about, not just interested in. There is a difference in the energy of these two words! Pay attention to:
- What do you enjoy doing?
- What would you like to do?
- What are you good at (other people will tell you this)?
- What would you like to do more of?
- Why would you like to do this?
- How can you get to do more of this?
- Who can help you?
- What is your investment to make this happen (time, resources, money, sacrifice)?
- What’s your first step beginning today?
Get to know yourself and accept who you are in this moment. This can take time.
Okay… Our second reference point is…
2. Where you want to go –Your strengths hold the key for where you have the most potential for growth. So start here. If you focus on growing your strengths, you will build confidence in your abilities and these can help you to set a course for where you want to go. Look for opportunities to use your strengths along the way.
Knowing yourself and growing yourself are intertwined. The path might not be clear at first, but you’ll get momentum on your journey by learning new things and applying them as you go.
Here are a few things to consider:
- DECIDE to be proactive and take it seriously.
- COMMIT to action and be consistent.
- GET SUPPORT – You can’t get to reach your destination on your own. You’ll need the help and guidance of others who can teach you.
- TAKE DELIBERATE ACTION even when you don’t feel like it.
Life is short and we don’t get any rehearsal time so I encourage you to develop a strong sense of urgency and proactivity.
How’s your sense of direction? Do you know where you are growing to?!